Wednesday 16 October 2019

Fifth Day of DFI

Today we spent time going through our current websites, checking them, developing them, presenting them to get feedback from the others in the group.
The biggest 'glitch' today was finding that many PDF files which I'd added to the site were not viewable by those outside the school. After a fair amount of time, and some trial and error, Kerry and I found ways to make sure these files were viewable. Despite the shared settings seeming like all files would be viewable, they were not; the only way to fix this seemed be to be embedding the files, or deleting them and re-adding them, which will be a lot of work, but I may just wait until students tell me they can't see the file, then I can quickly edit the site to make the link work. Over time this will fix the glitches!
Just trying to embed the screenshot below of the website revealed that it may be a glitch in the laptop, rather than something else. I think if I log in to this laptop while the laptop is physically plugged into the school system with a cable may fix all the issues!
The more workable the website, the easier it is for students and whanau to find their way around, and the more obvious the learning. This will lead to improved educational outcomes for all.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Alistair, sounds like you had an productive day today. I will remember you had this problem and come back when I strike it down the track. : ) Website looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise; I hope to keep updating it regularly, but only when I get the time!
      Sometimes these things are sent to try us...

      Delete
  2. Alistair, I know how fustrasting it can be when documents you have shared on your site aren't visible to all. I hope that you have managed to organise a system with Kerry that will prevent this from happening again.
    How is your site going with your students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The students all bookmark it at the start of the year, and this is our "go-to" place if they don't know what we are doing.
      As for the shared documents, I am fixing as I go for all the ones which don't show up; I think this will iron out the bumps!

      Delete